Welcome to ClaySocial

We offer a hands-on digital clay learning community. ClaySocial is not only a place to connect with other clay artists, we also provide ample access to live instructors, demos, and feedback.
Learn More

May/June - Saturday Afternoon - Wheel Throwing with David! (Teapots!)

David

•  

For this class set, I am very excited to be diving into the world of teapots!  Teapots are not as complicated as they seem at first glance, but they offer a challenging introduction into a wide wide world of wheel throwing and sculptural techniques. The things you learn while making a teapot can be applied to so many other forms. This is a great class if you are looking to make objects that move beyond just simple cups and vases. 

Over the course of this class, we will be going over spout/pourer designs, fitting lids, pulling longer handles, modifying wheel thrown pieces with hand-building techniques and mishima and sgraffito slip decoration.

This class will meet every other Saturday starting May 7th for four total classes! (We will meet @ 2 pm on 5/7, 5/21, 6/4, 6/18.)

This is not a drop-in class! Please visit - https://signup.com/go/Yuhtwps to sign up. 

Each class in this series builds off the one before it, so you are expected to attend every class and participate in class projects.

We will not be going over the basics, so please be sure that you have either been at the studio for two months prior to May or have previous experience throwing. You should have familiarity with cylinders, bowls, trimming, and glazing. 

Class Schedule:

May 7th; Throwing off the hump and making parts for the teapot.  Developing an overall design plan. 

May 21st; Putting it all together - attaching parts, and sculptural modifications.  

June 4th; Decoration and glazing.  Mishima and Sgraffittto. 

June 18th; Show and Tell tea party + bonus techniques to work on post class. 

This forum is where we will communicate about the class and for you to ask questions!

• David changed the title to May/June - Saturday Afternoon - Wheel Throwing with David! (Teapots!)
On 4/13/2022 at 1:41 PM, sproutspins said:

Shoot, I'm not available on 5/21, and I'm not sure about 5/7 either. Would you be able to teach these tea pot skills to me on the one-off lesson days???!? (You shall not escape repeating yourself!!) 😉 -- Kim Blount

Hey Kim!  I'm happy to go over teapots during a typical class, but it would be a very abbreviated version of what we go over during this long form class. The 4 week long class will be going into much more detail than we can usually fit into a standard 2 hour class.  If you only are going to miss the one class, still sign up!  I think you'll get a lot from the other three classes in this series.